Mayo Clinic's subspecialized neuro-oncology team of clinicians and researchers in the Department of Neurology are working in the Brain Tumor Program. This program combines teamwork, experience and technology to make the department a leader in diagnosis, treatment and management of brain and other central nervous system cancers. With high patient volumes and the necessary infrastructure and institutional support, Mayo Clinic is uniquely positioned to translate basic science research into cancer treatment.
Our Pediatric Brain Tumor Clinic is a top choice for referring providers for pediatric cancer, and pediatric neurology and neurosurgery for children; and providing children with brain and other central nervous system tumors access to the latest in treatments through clinical trials. Cancer therapy and associated nerve damage is another key area of research and innovation in the Department of Neurology at Mayo Clinic.
The Neuro-Oncology Program of the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center investigates the mechanisms of brain tumor biology and researches prevention and treatment strategies for primary and secondary brain tumors, with a goal of improving survival and quality of life for patients with brain tumors. Research in the Precision Therapeutics Innovation Program at Mayo Clinic's campus in Arizona is using personalized mathematical modeling and neural bioengineering approaches to improve the lives of people with neurological diseases.
Faculty members collaborating on basic and clinical research related to neuro-oncology include:
- Bernard R. Bendok, M.D. — Neurosurgery Simulation and Innovations Laboratory
- Tanya M. Brown, Ph.D., L.P.
- Terence (Terry) C. Burns, M.D., Ph.D. — Regenerative Neurosurgery and Neuro-Oncology Laboratory
- Kaisorn L. Chaichana, M.D. — Metastatic Brain Cancer Laboratory
- David J. Daniels, M.D., Ph.D. — Experimental Drug and Therapeutics for Pediatric Brain Tumor Laboratory
- Caterina Giannini, M.D., Ph.D.
- Hugo Guerrero Cazares, M.D., Ph.D. — Neurogenesis and Brain Tumors Laboratory
- Julie E. Hammack, M.D.
- Kurt A. Jaeckle, M.D.
- Gesina F. Keating, M.D.
- Daniel H. LaChance, M.D.
- Mark K. Lyons, M.D.
- Maciej M. Mrugala, M.D., Ph.D.
- Brian Patrick O'Neill, M.D.
- Ian F. Parney, M.D., Ph.D. — Neurosurgical Oncology Laboratory
- Alyx B. Porter, M.D.
- Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa, M.D. — Brain Tumor Stem Cell Research Laboratory
- Michael W. Ruff, M.D.
- Jann N. Sarkaria, M.D. — Translational Neuro-Oncology Laboratory
- Nathan P. Staff, M.D., Ph.D. — Translational Neuromuscular Disease Research Laboratory
- Kristin R. Swanson, Ph.D. — Mathematical Neuro-Oncology Laboratory
- Joon H. Uhm, M.D.
- Anthony J. Windebank, M.D. — Regenerative Neurobiology Laboratory