Cerebrovascular and Critical Care Neurology
As a part of the Cerebrovascular and Critical Care Specialty Group at Mayo Clinic, our neurologists, neurosurgeons and other specialists actively research causes and develop diagnostic tests and new treatments for people who have strokes and brain and blood vessel conditions (cerebrovascular diseases). Specialists treat complex and rare cerebrovascular diseases in children and young adults, including cranial and spinal arteriovenous malformations, cavernous malformations, dural arteriovenous fistulas, moyamoya disease, intracranial aneurysms and genetic causes of stroke.
The Department of Neurology is distinguished by the depth and breadth of research in cerebral infarction and other cerebrovascular disorders. The types of studies conducted range from population-based epidemiologic research to internationally recognized programs in genetics and from novel arterial, venous and central nervous system imaging strategies to basic science research. Mayo Clinic's extensive cerebrovascular research programs are making a difference in patient care and contributing to optimal outcomes.
Critical care neurology research begins with needs that arise from clinical practice, and as a result, research findings are readily implemented into patient care. Research findings have also been used to develop national criteria for acute neurological conditions and characterize neurological complications and factors for various conditions.
Brain research in the Discovery and Translation Labs at Mayo Clinic's campus in Florida is centered on aging, vascularity and stroke, focusing on the etiology of cerebrovascular disease and aging blood vessels to elucidate the underlying mechanisms of vascular disease.
Faculty members collaborating on basic and clinical research related to cerebrovascular and critical care neurology include:
- Kevin M. Barrett, M.D.
- Thomas G. Brott, M.D.
- Robert D. Brown Jr., M.D., M.P.H.
- Bart M. Demaerschalk, M.D.
- David W. Dodick, M.D.
- Joseph R. Duffy, Ph.D.
- Benjamin H. Eidelman, M.D.
- Kelly D. Flemming, M.D.
- William D. Freeman, M.D.
- Jimmy R. Fulgham, M.D.
- Jonathan Graff-Radford, M.D.
- Josephine F. Huang, M.D.
- Timothy Ingall, M.B.B.S., M.D., Ph.D.
- Mi Hyeon (Mi-Hyeon) Jang, Ph.D. — Neurogenesis and Brain Repair Laboratory
- David F. Kallmes, M.D. — Applied Neuroradiology Laboratory
- James P. Klaas, M.D.
- Gyanendra Kumar, M.D.
- Michelle P. Lin, M.D., M.P.H.
- Irene Meissner, M.D.
- James F. Meschia, M.D.
- Deena M. Nasr, D.O.
- Cumara B. O'Carroll, M.D., M.P.H.
- George W. Petty, M.D.
- Alejandro A. Rabinstein, M.D.
- Maisha T. Robinson, M.D.
- Owen A. Ross, Ph.D. — Stroke and Vascular Disease Laboratory
- Kara A. Sands, M.D.
- Eugene L. Scharf, M.D.
- Steven M. Sine, Ph.D. — Receptor Biology Laboratory
- Lindsy N. Williams, M.D.
- LongJun (Long-Jun) Wu, Ph.D. — Neuroimmune Interaction in Health and Disease Laboratory