Spinal Cord Disorders
The Department of Neurology's spine care specialty group uses evidence-based practice to manage a wide variety of spine disorders. To support the spine care diagnosis, Mayo Clinic offers the advanced radiologic techniques and employs the latest technologies, including neuroimaging, electrophysiology and intraoperative monitoring. Experts in neurophysiology employ specialized nerve conduction and muscle tests to obtain the best results.
This integrated spine care model leverages the expertise of specialists from medical, surgical, interventional, integrative-complementary and cognitive behavioral medicine backgrounds. They provide patients with spine disease a coordinated and efficient clinical assessment leading to evidence-based treatment recommendations focused on restoring patient function and quality of life.
Research in spinal cord injury at Mayo Clinic provides patients with new treatments including minimally invasive surgical techniques and advanced imaging, including:
- Robotic advances that aim to improve accuracy and patient outcomes, especially in complex deformity cases or spinal fusion.
- Three-dimensional printing technology for surgical planning and precision. Leveraging advances in radiology, including detailed, submillimeter, high-resolution images and accurate 3D models, can be created to help plan for surgery.
- Regenerative medicine treatment options, including stem cell trials for degenerative spine conditions.
Research in the Precision Therapeutics Innovation Program at Mayo Clinic's campus in Arizona is using personalized mathematical modeling and neural bioengineering approaches to improve the lives of people with neurological diseases. The Spinal Cord Injury Research Program studies recovery and rehabilitation, prevention and treatment of secondary complications, and wellness and quality of life for people with spinal cord injuries or diseases.
Faculty members collaborating on basic and clinical research related to spinal cord disorders include:
- Patty P. Atkinson, M.D.
- Bernard R. Bendok, M.D. — Neurosurgery Simulation and Innovations Laboratory
- Mohamad Bydon, M.D. — Neuro-Informatics Laboratory
- Ralitza H. Gavrilova, M.D.
- Julie E. Hammack, M.D.
- Neeraj Kumar, M.D.
- Kendall H. Lee, M.D., Ph.D. — Neural Engineering Laboratory
- W. Richard Marsh, M.D.
- Kathleen M. McEvoy, M.D., Ph.D.
- Isobel A. Scarisbrick, Ph.D.
- Kristin R. Swanson, Ph.D. — Mathematical Neuro-Oncology Laboratory
- Anthony J. Windebank, M.D. — Regenerative Neurobiology Laboratory
- Kristin D. Zhao, Ph.D.