Specialists in the Department of Neurology evaluate and treat more than 7,000 people with epilepsy annually, including medical and surgical care for both common and complex problems in children with epilepsy. Multidisciplinary teams work together to find root etiology of epilepsy — whether genetic, structural, autoimmune or neurometabolic — and manage complex cases with pharmacological and nonpharmacological options including surgery, ketogenic diet, and neuromodulation or brain stimulation therapies.
A number of ongoing research endeavors and clinical trials are underway at Mayo Clinic to improve treatment for patients with epilepsy. Efforts include improved imaging techniques, stereotactic minimally invasive laser surgery, intraoperative functional brain mapping, and neuromodulation and brain stimulation for drug-resistant epilepsy. These efforts, among others, are leading to the next generation of epilepsy management.
As a part of the Epilepsy Subspecialty Group, Mayo Clinic neurologists are also researchers and educators. New diagnostic and treatment options include inpatient monitoring and state-of-the art imaging protocols to improve identification of seizure type and localization of seizure focus. Ongoing research includes studying causes, potential diagnostic tests and potential treatments for epilepsy, including medications and electrical brain stimulation, and conducting clinical trials.
In collaboration with the Center for Multiple Sclerosis and Autoimmune Neurology, the Department of Neurology has made groundbreaking progress on epilepsy and it continues rigorous efforts toward more scientific discoveries.
Faculty members collaborating on basic and clinical research related to epilepsy include:
- Benjamin (Ben) H. Brinkmann, Ph.D.
- Jeffrey W. Britton, M.D.
- Tanya M. Brown, Ph.D., L.P.
- David B. Burkholder, M.D.
- Gregory D. Cascino, M.D.
- Amy Z. Crepeau, M.D.
- Joseph F. Drazkowski, M.D.
- Anteneh M. Feyissa, M.D.
- Matthew T. Hoerth, M.D.
- Charles L. Howe, Ph.D. — Translational Neuroimmunology Laboratory
- Terrence D. Lagerlund, M.D., Ph.D.
- Fredric B. Meyer, M.D.
- Katherine C. Nickels, M.D.
- Katherine H. Noe, M.D., Ph.D.
- Eric T. Payne, M.D., M.P.H.
- Anthony L. Ritaccio, M.D.
- Erik K. St Louis, M.D.
- Steven M. Sine, Ph.D. — Receptor Biology Laboratory
- Joseph I. Sirven, M.D.
- Elson So, M.D.
- William Tatum, D.O.
- Elaine C. Wirrell, M.D.
- Lily C. Wong-Kisiel, M.D.
- Gregory A. Worrell, M.D., Ph.D. — Bioelectronics Neurophysiology and Engineering Lab
- Jamie J. Van Gompel, M.D.
- LongJun (Long-Jun) Wu, Ph.D. — Neuroimmune Interaction in Health and Disease Laboratory
- Paul E. Youssef, D.O.