Office of Clinical Trials
The Office of Clinical Trials in Mayo Clinic's Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCaTS) seeks to maintain and develop strategic alliances and preferred partnerships with study sponsors, with the objective of attracting high-impact trials to Mayo Clinic to provide solutions and hope to Mayo patients.
Mayo Clinic has a long history of excellence in clinical research and expertise in clinical trials, and the vision of the Office of Clinical Trials is to provide an unparalleled experience as a highly trusted partner for clinical trials along the clinical trials life cycle.
The mission of the CCaTS Office of Clinical Trials is to inspire hope and contribute to health and well-being by providing world-class support to develop, activate, conduct and translate clinical trials.
The goals of the Office of Clinical Trials are to:
- Facilitate an efficient preactivation time frame for document-ready protocols
- Use project management processes to maintain the progress of preactivation activities among the involved research business units to ensure that studies meet the activation timeline
- Serve as a central liaison for industry sponsors as they work with Mayo Clinic researchers, responding to questions and concerns as well as facilitating research opportunity discussions
- Serve as a trusted central resource for research study teams with integrated tools to not only facilitate the activation process, but also guide and answer questions related to clinical trial activities, driving high-quality research to translate clinical trials for Mayo investigators and industry partners
- Become recognized as the most trusted site for conducting high-quality clinical trials for patients, industry, federal agencies, foundations and investigators
The Office of Clinical Trials aligns with Mayo Clinic's strategic goal of positively transforming the practice and the operational goals of strengthening clinical trials, sponsoring team science and advancing entrepreneurship. Clinical trials illustrate the alignment of discovery science with the unmet needs of the practice to speed the translation of new science into practice.
The office facilitates integration among business units, ensures timely activation of studies, provides focused consultation and assistance to study teams with navigating the activation system, and ensures that the benefits thereof are sustained over time.
Mayo Clinic's values, specifically teamwork, are reflected within the organization of the CCaTS Office of Clinical Trials. The office values the contributions of all, blends the skills of individual staff members, and brings all clinical trials resources together with a single vision: to develop, initiate, conduct and translate quality clinical trials to meet the unmet needs of patients and the practice.
The Office of Clinical Trials is enterprisewide, making multisite resources available to investigators throughout Mayo Clinic and supporting research integration to complement practice integration. Additionally, the office allows Mayo Clinic to expand its reach by developing new services for partnerships and business relationships.
Located in Mayo Clinic Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCaTS), the Office of Clinical Trials provides close connection between the conduct of trials and translation into practice. The office reflects the scope of the National Center for Advancing Translational Science's (NCATS) Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA), which funds Mayo Clinic CCaTS.
The NCATS model presents an opportunity for CCaTS through interactions with the office to intentionally integrate the three Mayo campuses to strengthen the sense of accessibility and relevance.
Accelerated activation process
Mayo Clinic works directly with sponsors and contract research organizations (CROs) to expedite study activation for clinical trials. Staff members in the Office of Clinical Trials work closely with individuals and organizations to expedite study activation and reach the shared goal of achieving study activation in an efficient manner while maintaining the highest level of accuracy.