Biomolecular Analysis Service Line
Mayo Clinic's Biomolecular Analysis Service Line comprises high-complexity cores offering top-of-the-line biomolecular research support. Cores are focused on genome analysis, proteomics, metabolomics, immunochemistry and cytogenetics.
Specialized services include gene sequencing, gene analysis and genotyping; protein identification, quantification and purification; automated chemistry analysis, immunoassay analysis and small molecule analysis; cell culture, fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), and production of novel FISH probes; and many more.
Genome Analysis Core
The Genome Analysis Core offers researchers a synthesis of three primary services — sequencing, gene expression and genotyping — that together provide comprehensive genomic analyses. Services provide clinicians and researchers with comprehensive information about differences and changes in an individual's genetic makeup, advancing genetic and genomic understanding of many diseases and treatments.
Read more about the Genome Analysis Core.
Immune Monitoring Core
The Immune Monitoring Core at Mayo Clinic provides services to Mayo Clinic researchers seeking to study immunological phenomena. Services include:
- Designing assays to identify and quantify immune cell subpopulations
- Characterizing and measuring immune function
- Monitoring immunological changes in response to both specific and nonspecific stimulation
The core supports experimental systems to study human and mouse models by providing expertise and standardized assays to evaluate immune functions in a broad range of diseases and therapies in models as well as in healthy human subjects with variable demographics. The Immune Monitoring Core provides services to all Mayo Clinic faculty and staff engaged in research. Currently, services are not available to investigators outside Mayo Clinic.
Read more about the Immune Monitoring Core
The Proteomics Core provides proteomics and proteomics-related services, including:
- Protein identification
- Label-free differential proteomics
- Protein profiling
- Identification of post-translational modification (PTM) sites
- Targeted protein quantification
- Solid-phase peptide synthesis
- Protein purification
The core also provides services to prepare samples for proteomics analysis, including:
- Gel electrophoresis
- Protein extraction from tissues and cell cultures
- Laser capture microdissection of frozen and paraffin-embedded tissue
Read more about the Proteomics Core.
The Immunochemical Core is a specialized facility that provides immunochemical, chemistry and immune testing at an affordable cost to clinical and basic science researchers, develops and validates new assays, and improves current assay methodology. Services include:
- Automated chemistry analysis
- Immunoassay analysis
- Small molecule analysis
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent (ELISA), Meso Scale Discovery (MSD), and radioimmunoassay (RIA) procedures for various analytes
Read more about the Immunochemical Core.
The Cytogenetics Core analyzes human and animal model research samples using methods such as:
- Cell culture
- Routine cytogenetic analysis
- Interphase and metaphase fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH)
- Homebrew FISH probe production of custom, novel FISH probes
The core also provides training on molecular cytogenetic techniques, equipment, setup and analysis so that researchers can use the core's facilities to process and analyze their own specimens.
Read more about the Cytogenetics Core.
The Metabolomics Core offers mass spectrometry techniques to support research in disease diagnosis and prevention by assisting investigators with profiling the metabolites involved in micro (cellular) and macro (organ) physiology. The core offers stable isotope-labeled metabolic studies in both human and animal models. Services include:
- Three complementary techniques for untargeted metabolomics profiling
- Targeted panels for mass spectrometry quantification
- Isotope-labeled ratio measurements
- Access services
The core offers a full-service facility with applications for high-field nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and biochemical and biological systems microscopy. The facility contains high-field, state-of-the-art NMR spectrometers for data acquisition, computers for NMR data analysis and a fully equipped wet laboratory for sample preparation.
Read more about the Metabolomics Core.