Research in the Mayo Clinic Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery benefits patients in numerous ways, including:
- Building the care of tomorrow by testing and implementing new models of care today
- Optimizing existing care models to improve patient outcomes and health care value
- Reimagining knowledge delivery so that providers can tailor care for each patient based on data-informed care plans
- Revolutionizing the experience of being a patient through better engagement, education and empowerment over health care decisions
The center's research is carried out across Mayo Clinic through a number of innovative programs and initiatives to improve health and health care delivery, including the following:
- Care experience. Investigators focus on the entire patient journey to develop, study, test, implement and share new models of patient-centered health care delivery. Learn more about the center's care experience research.
- Health care practice and policy. Research informs practice and policy decisions through assessments of value and quality measurement, appropriate risk adjustment, economic analyses, and alternative payment and delivery issues. Learn more about the center's health care practice and policy research.
- Health care systems engineering. Researchers apply engineering, management and translational science principles to improve health care delivery systems and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of health care. Learn more about the center's health care systems engineering research.
- Informatics and knowledge management. Investigators combine the most-advanced informatics, data analytics and knowledge management techniques with innovative technology and apply them to address patients' needs. Learn more about the center's informatics and knowledge management research.
- Innovation and design. Research is aimed at finding new ways to transform the experience and delivery of health care and at translating discoveries into evidence-based, actionable treatments and procedures that improve patient care. Learn more about the center's innovation and design research.
- Population health science. A focus on prevention and health promotion helps researchers create optimal health and well-being in an 11-county area in southeastern Minnesota. Learn more about the center's population health science research.
- Surgical outcomes. Research focused on surgical access, safety, quality and outcomes improves the quality of surgical patient care at Mayo Clinic and in the U.S. Learn more about the center's surgical outcomes research.
- Health care delivery research in Arizona. Researchers at Mayo Clinic's campus in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, conduct studies to impact clinical practice, including projects on pain care, tumor treatment, stroke and cardiac arrest. Learn more about the center's health care delivery research at the Arizona campus.
- Health care delivery research in Florida. Researchers at Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, study ways to improve kidney disease diagnosis, decrease recovery time and pain after joint replacements, and more. Learn more about the center's health care delivery research at the Florida campus.