The Alzheimer's Disease Research Center at Mayo Clinic offers a variety of community outreach and education activities for people with Alzheimer's disease or dementia, their families, and their caregivers. Outreach activities are intended to improve participants' quality of life by helping them better understand the symptoms of dementia — including behavior changes — and develop appropriate strategies for coping, communication, planning for the future and other concerns.
Outreach activities are available on or near Mayo Clinic's campuses in Jacksonville, Florida, and Rochester, Minnesota.
The center's community outreach opportunities include:
- Support groups. In Florida, the Alzheimer's and Related Dementia Education Series and Caregiver Support Group meets throughout the year to address such topics as stress, legal issues, medications and holidays. In Minnesota, Caring Conversations drop-in support groups provide caregivers with opportunities to share and reflect on their experiences and feelings, problem-solve with others in similar roles, and gather. Learn about care partner support.
- Community resources. Mayo Clinic offers a variety of conferences, seminars and events in Florida and Minnesota for patients, their families and caregivers, and connects patients and their loved ones with other helpful local and national organizations. Learn about Alzheimer's disease and dementia resources.
- Events. Conferences and symposia provide venues for patients, families, caregivers, and medical and research professionals to develop and promote best practices in Alzheimer's disease and dementia patient care and caregiver wellness. Learn about upcoming events.
- Education and wellness programs. The Alzheimer's Disease Research Center offers workshops, summits and programs focused on caregiver wellness, Lewy body dementia, frontotemporal degeneration and mild cognitive impairment. Learn more about education and wellness opportunities for patients, families and caregivers.
- Lewy body dementia education. The Mayo Clinic Alzheimer's Disease Research Center is a Lewy Body Dementia Association (LBDA) Research Center of Excellence. The center and the LBDA partner to provide targeted education for people with Lewy body dementia and their families and caregivers. Learn more about Lewy body dementia research and care via articles and videos.
- Expanding Florida outreach. Community outreach and engagement opportunities at and near Mayo Clinic's campus in Florida continue to grow and evolve. Learn more on the center's Florida-focused outreach website.