Initiative for Maximizing Student Development
Lujan, J. Luis Ph.D., M.S.Maher, Louis (Jim) J. III Ph.D.
Award number — GM055252
The goals of the Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD) at Mayo Clinic are to:
- Serve diverse students
- Increase the diversity of students in Mayo Clinic graduate degree programs
- Prepare Mayo Clinic graduate students for success
The IMSD provides a professional and social home for predoctoral students during their first two years in the Ph.D. Program at Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. Such support is particularly important during the stressful first few weeks and months of graduate school.
Predoctoral students in the IMSD attend weekly meetings with other students participating in Mayo Clinic's diversity programs. First-year predoctoral students meet and network with students and staff members, including:
IMSD students plan frequent social activities to assist new students in adjusting to graduate school and to a new city.
There are eight total predoctoral positions in this program. The current number of open positions changes regularly.
Appointees must be enrolled in the Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Ph.D. Program.
Appointees must also be citizens or noncitizen nationals of the United States or must have been legally admitted as permanent residents.
Appointees must come from backgrounds underrepresented in science, as defined by the National Institutes of Health.
Any member of the Mayo Clinic community is welcome to attend IMSD meetings.
How to apply
Apply to Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences' Ph.D. Program.
Review the focus areas, mentors and publications of current and former trainees in the IMSD.
- Ackerman, Michael J. M.D., Ph.D.
- Barry, Michael A. Ph.D.
- Billadeau, Daniel D. Ph.D.
- Cattaneo, Roberto Ph.D.
- Choi, Doo-Sup Ph.D.
- Doles, Jason D. Ph.D.
- Erickson, Bradley J. M.D., Ph.D.
- Fernandez-Zapico, Martin E. M.D.
- Harris, Peter C. Ph.D.
- Hedin, Karen E. Ph.D.
- Jenkins, Robert B. M.D., Ph.D.
- Johnson, Aaron J. Ph.D.
- Karnitz, Larry M. Ph.D.
- Lerman, Lilach O. M.D., Ph.D.
- Lujan, J. Luis Ph.D., M.S.
- Maher, Louis (Jim) J. III Ph.D.
- Manduca, Armando Ph.D.
- Medina, Kay L. Ph.D.
- Nelson, Timothy J. M.D., Ph.D.
- Patel, Robin M.D.
- Pease, Larry R. Ph.D.
- Rademakers, Rosa Ph.D.
- Ramirez-Alvarado, Marina Ph.D.
- Roberts, Lewis R. M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D.
- Romero, Michael F. Ph.D.
- Scarisbrick, Isobel A. Ph.D.
- Schimmenti, Lisa A. M.D.
- Shapiro, Virginia M. Ph.D.
- Sieck, Gary C. Ph.D.
- Wang, Liewei M.D., Ph.D.
- Weinshilboum, Richard M.D.
- Westendorf, Jennifer J. Ph.D.