As an expert in myocarditis, dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure, Dr. Fairweather leads a research team seeking advances in diagnostic techniques and novel therapies.
Dr. Fairweather's Translational Cardiovascular Disease Research Laboratory engages in five primary research focus areas:
- Identifying immunomechanisms contributing to myocarditis, dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure
- Understanding how sex differences in inflammation contribute to the pathogenesis of cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases
- Identifying biomarkers that improve the diagnosis of cardiac and other chronic inflammatory diseases
- Studying how environmental factors such as infection, vitamin D levels and chemicals can cause chronic inflammation
- Understanding how regenerative medicine therapies prevent chronic diseases