Researchers in the Department of Urology are actively investigating new treatments for urinary incontinence, including minimally invasive procedures.
Areas of research in urinary incontinence include:
- The effects on stress urinary incontinence of treatment with Zuidex gel, an experimental soft tissue bulking agent
- Cadaveric allograft material in urogynecologic procedures because of advantages both during and after surgery
- Urethral caps and inserts in place of surgical options for people who aren't suitable candidates for surgery
- Nonsurgical and minimally invasive surgical options for women with urinary incontinence
- Silicone genitourinary spheroidal membrane (Genisphere) with a special delivery tool to cause coaptation of the urethral walls