Facilities and Equipment
The Metabolomics Core facilities are divided into two locations at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota:
- Mass spectrometry facilities. Mass spectrometry facilities occupy approximately 3,500 square feet in the Alfred Building at Mayo Clinic Hospital — Saint Marys Campus. The facilities comprise two instrument rooms, a work-up laboratory and office space, and a conference room.
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) facilities. NMR spectroscopy facilities include approximately 3,100 square feet in the basement of the Stabile building, housing instruments, offices and a wet lab.
Mass spectrometry equipment
The Mayo Clinic Metabolomics Core has 14 mass spectrometers divided into two categories: single quadrupole and tandem instruments.
Single quadrupole instruments include:
- Agilent Technologies 5973N MSD
- Agilent Technologies 5975C MSD
- Agilent Technologies 5977A MSD
- Agilent Technologies 5977B MSD
Tandem instruments include:
- Applied Biosystems Sciex 6500 (LC/MS/MS)
- Agilent Technologies 6460 (LC/MS/MS)
- Agilent Technologies 6550iFunnel Q-TOF (LC/MS/MS) x 2
- ThermoFisher Scientific TSQ Quantum Ultra (LC/MS/MS) x 3
- ThermoFisher Scientific TSQ Quantiva (LC/MS/MS) x 2
- ThermoFisher Scientific Q-Exactive Plus (LC/MS/MS)
NMR spectroscopy equipment
The Mayo Clinic Metabolomics Core's NMR equipment includes:
- Bruker DRX-700 (700 MHz 1H, 16.4 tesla) 3-channel equipped with cryoprobe (5 mm triple resonance 1H, 13C, 15N, proton detection, and single axis gradient), 5 mm broadband (15N to 31P, 51 to 209 MHz) with 1H decoupling for proton and heteronuclear spectroscopy.
- Bruker Avance III 600 MHz spectrometer, a high-resolution 1H NMR, with high-throughput sample handler for metabolomics studies.
- Bruker 500 MHz spectrometer (Avance) used for 18O-assisted 31P NMR studies of cellular phosphoryl-containing metabolites.
- Two NMR spectrometers (the 300 and 700 MHz wide bore) are equipped with mini- and microimaging accessories that enable recording of NMR images and high-resolution NMR spectra of small animals, perfused organs, tissues and cell cultures. The 300 MHz spectrometer has a magic angle spinning probe for high-resolution multinuclear spectroscopy of soft solids such as tissue, cell pellets and the like.
- The NMR spectroscopy facility is equipped with organ perfusion systems, cell culture and whole-blood metabolic labeling tools. It has Hewlett Packard HPLC HP1100 for fractionation, purification and quantification of metabolites and their respective phosphoryls.