Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. There is no guarantee that every individual who qualifies and wants to participate in a trial will be enrolled. Contact the study team to discuss study eligibility and potential participation.
- Histologically confirmed invasive cancer of the breast
- Clinically or radiologically measureable disease in the breast after diagnostic
biopsy, defined as longest diameter greater than or equal to 25 mm (2.5cm)
- No prior cytotoxic regimens are allowed for this malignancy. Patients may not have had
prior chemotherapy or prior radiation therapy to the ipsilateral breast for this
malignancy. Prior bis-phosphonate therapy is allowed
- Age ≥18 years
- ECOG performance status 0-1
- Willing to undergo core biopsy of the primary breast lesion to assess baseline
- Non-pregnant and non-lactating
- No ferromagnetic prostheses. Patients who have metallic surgical implants that are not
compatible with an MRI machine are not eligible.
- Ability to understand and willingness to sign a written informed consent (I-SPY TRIAL
- Eligible tumors must meet one of the following criteria: Stage II or III, or T4, any
N, M0, including clinical or pathologic inflammatory cancer or Regional Stage IV,
where supraclavicular lymph nodes are the only sites metastasis
- Any tumor ER/PgR status, any HER-2/neu status as measured by local hospital pathology
laboratory and meets any tumor assay profile described in protocol section 4.1.2F
- Normal organ and marrow function: Leukocytes ≥ 3000/?L, Absolute neutrophil count ≥
1500/?L, Platelets ≥ 100,000/?L, Total bilirubin within normal institutional limits,
unless patient has Gilbert's disease, for which bilirubin must be ≤ 2.0 x ULN,
AST(SGOT)/ALT (SGPT) ≤ 1.5 x institutional ULN, creatinine < 1.5 x institutional ULN
- No uncontrolled or severe cardiac disease. Baseline ejection fraction (by nuclear
imaging or echocardiography) must by ≥ 50%
- No clinical or imaging evidence of distant metastases by PA and Lateral CXR,
Radionuclide Bone scan, and LFTs including total bilirubin, ALT, AST, and alkaline
- Tumor assay profile must include on of the following: MammaPrint High, any ER status,
any HER2 status, or MammaPrint Low, ER negative (<5%), any HER2 status, or MammaPrint
Low, ER positive, HER2/neu positive by any one of the three methods used (IHC, FISH,
- Ability to understand and willingness to sign a written informed consent document
(I-SPY 2 TRIAL Consent #2)
- Use of any other investigational agents within 30 days of starting study treatment
- History of allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar chemical or biologic
composition to the study agent or accompanying supportive medications.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active
infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac
arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with
Note: Other protocol defined Inclusion/Exclusion criteria may apply.
Eligibility last updated 9/20/22. Questions regarding updates should be directed to the study team contact.