Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Liver biopsy performed within 6 months prior to the Screening Visit; if not performed within 6 months prior to the Screening Visit, a liver biopsy will be performed during the Screening Period and at least 4 weeks prior to randomization (Biopsy must be consistent with NASH with:
- A score of at least 1 for each NAS component (steatosis, lobular inflammation, and ballooning), as assessed by the central reader; and
- Stage 3 liver fibrosis according to the NASH CRN classification, as assessed by the central reader.
- Participants taking anti-diabetic, anti-obesity, or anti-dyslipidemic medications must have been on stable dosing regimens for at least 3 months prior to the Screening Visit.
- Participants taking vitamin E at doses ≥800 IU/day must have been on stable doses for at least 6 months prior to the Screening Visit (Vitamin E treatment must not have been initiated after the liver biopsy was performed).
- Other causes of liver disease (e.g., alcoholic liver disease, hepatitis B virus infection, chronic hepatitis C virus infection, autoimmune hepatitis, drug-induced hepatotoxicity, Wilson disease, alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency, iron overload, and hemochromatosis).
- Current or past history of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
- Past or current evidence of hepatic decompensation (e.g., ascites, variceal bleeding, hepatic encephalopathy and/or spontaneous bacterial peritonitis) or liver transplantation.
- Other protocol defined inclusion/exclusion criteria could apply.