Maria L. Yataco, M.D., studies the management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, as well as complications and patient outcomes after liver transplantation. Her ongoing research projects include treatment options for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, cardiopulmonary complications of liver disease and quality improvement projects to reduce hospital readmissions.
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Dr. Yataco is investigating the use of obeticholic acid for the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.
- Cardiac and pulmonary complications of liver disease. Dr. Yataco is studying the impact of cardiac and pulmonary complications in liver transplant outcomes. Dr. Yataco has a special interest in cirrhotic cardiomyopathy.
- Hospital readmission in patients with liver disease. Collaborating with colleagues from the liver transplant team, Dr. Yataco is evaluating strategies to decrease hospital readmissions in patients with liver disease before and after liver transplantation.
Significance to patient care
Dr. Yataco works toward better strategies for the diagnosis and management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease as well as identifying best practice in the care of patients with chronic liver disease.
- Member, Education Committee, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 2015-present
- Member, Hepatology Associates Committee, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 2015-present