Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
Eligible patients will be offered enrollment if the time interval between initial diagnosis and surgery allows for performance of the PEM studies with both F18 FDG and F-18 FES, and they meet the following criteria:
- Postmenopausal women, as defined by
- Lack of menstrual periods for ≥ 12 months
- For women with prior hysterectomy and age < 60, a serum FSH level within the postmenopausal range
- Histologic proof of invasive breast carcinoma that is ER positive per ASCO/CAP guidelines (staining in ≥ 1% of cells by immunohistochemistry)
- Extent of disease confirmed, or to be confirmed, on a clinical contrast-enhanced breast MRI examination
- Minimum size criteria for index cancer of 10 mm as measured on mammogram, ultrasound, or MRI.
- Planned surgical excision of the breast cancer at Mayo Clinic, Rochester
Patients are excluded if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Unable to undergo PEM scanning (weight limit of 300 lbs. on PEM system or inability to lie prone for 30 minutes)
- Total serum bilirubin > 1.5 x upper limit of normal (abnormal hepatic metabolism may interfere with FES hepatic excretion),
- Serum creatinine > 1.5 x upper limit of normal
- Patients who have received, are currently receiving, or planning to receive neoadjuvant systemic therapy prior to surgical excision
- Patients who will undergo core needle biopsy of the breast or axilla between the breast MRI and investigational PEM studies. NOTE: Axillary ultrasound with or without fine needle aspiration of an axillary mass or lymph node is allowed.
- Patients with breast implants?