Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Age 18- 90 years
- Able to participate in supervised exercise if randomized to this group.
- Diagnosis of acute DVT (within 24-48 hours) and 24 hours of anticoagulation prior to starting the study.
- Recent major surgery or surgical intervention of the lower extremity wit in the last 3 months.
- Active malignancy, on treatment with chemo or radiation.
- Unable to do graded treadmill exercise.
- Unable to comply with keeping log of activity/exercise.
- Weight > 300 pounds. (weight limit for the air plethysmography chair)
- Previous history of DVT or PE.
- On anticoagulation for another purpose (example stroke prevention with atrial fibrillation)