Dr. Saito's patient-oriented research centers on studies in the following areas:
- Epidemiology of functional GI disorders
- Genetic and environmental contributors to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Familial contributors to the development of functional GI disorders
- Genetics of IBS and functional diarrhea (FD)
- Evaluation of clinical tests and treatment interventions of functional gastrointestinal disorders.
- Patient education, diet and nutritional factors, and treatment efficacy in patients with IBS