The research interests of Stephen C. Textor, M.D., are focused on mechanisms of renovascular hypertension and benefits and risks of renal revascularization in atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis. Recent studies focus on pathways of inflammation and injury in ischemic nephropathy and the potential for repair of the injured kidney. In recent years, Dr. Textor's research team has examined the issues of blood pressure regulation and treatment in kidney transplant recipients and the implications of high blood pressure in living kidney donors.
- Blood oxygen level dependent (BOLD) imaging. Dr. Textor uses advanced imaging using BOLD magnetic resonance to evaluate blood supply and tissue oxygen levels within the kidney.
- Regenerative medicine. Dr. Textor's research involves the application of mesenchymal stem cells to boost repair of injured or inflamed kidney tissue in patients with occlusive vascular disease.
- Renovascular disease. Dr. Textor collaborates on the development of protective protocols, such as the use of mitochondrial protection, for restoration of blood flow and function to kidneys beyond arterial occlusion.
Significance to patient care
Dr. Textor's research projects aim to prevent or repair injury to the kidney from vascular disease, which is common in older individuals. Adults over the age of 65 are the fastest growing group of people developing kidney disease that is likely to require renal replacement therapy such as dialysis or transplantation. His efforts are directed at recovering kidney function.
- Co-editor (with Lilach O. Lerman, M.D., Ph.D.), "Renal Vascular Disease," 2014
- Member, Program project grant review committee, National Institutes of Health, 2013-2014
- Board Review Course & Update, Hypertension Session, American Society of Nephrology, 2013-2014
- Section editor, UpToDate, 2012-present
- Division of Nephrology & Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
- Assistant Visiting Physician Boston City Hospital
- Fellow - Swiss National Science Postdoctoral Foundation--Lausanne, Switzerland Hospitalier Universitetet i Vaudois
- Clinical Fellowship - Nephrology Boston University School of Medicine
- Chief Resident - Medicine Boston City Hospital
- Clinical Fellowship - Hypertension Boston University
- Senior Resident Boston City Hospital
- Resident Boston City Hospital
- Internship - Medicine Boston City Hospital
- MD School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles
- Fellow - Biochemical Research Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California, Los Angeles
- BS - Chemistry Stanford University
- Chemistry Summer Program Augustana College