Andre Terzic, M.D., Ph.D., has pioneered regenerative medicine at Mayo Clinic. He has authored more than 450 publications, advancing diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for heart failure. His works include team-science efforts in the discovery of genes for dilated cardiomyopathy and atrial fibrillation. He led efforts in the development of next-generation regenerative solutions, including first-in-class products for heart repair. His scientific manuscripts have been cited more than 10,000 times.
Dr. Terzic is the Marriott Family Director, Comprehensive Cardiac Regenerative Medicine, for the Mayo Clinic Center for Regenerative Biotherapeutics; a Marriott Family Professor of Cardiovascular Research; a professor of medicine and pharmacology in Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science; chair of the Discovery-Translation Advisory Board; director of the Marriott Heart Disease Research Program; director of the National Institutes of Health Cardiovasology Program; and on the Mayo Collaborative Services board of directors.
- Regenerative medicine and stem cell biology
- Heart failure
- Genetics of cardiac disease and stress tolerance
- Bioenergetic signaling, nucleocytoplasmic communication and ion channel biology
Significance to patient care
Dr. Terzic's program capitalizes on emerging technologies to transform therapeutic modalities from palliative measures to cures. In particular, the ability to early detect for each individual the defining genetic and metabolic basis of disease risk and to personalize treatment by targeted drug- or stem cell-based repair has advanced the cardiovascular therapeutic armamentarium. Specific contributions include advancing the development of safer cardioplegia, improved drug selection in patients who have diabetes, and refinement of diagnostic and management strategies for heart failure and ischemic heart disease, prevalent in the aging population.
- President, American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Chair, Council on Functional Genomics and Translational Biology, American Heart Association
- Chair, Scientific Advisory Board, International Society for Cardiovascular Translational Research
- Martin E. Rehfuss Medal in Medicine
- Henry W. Elliott Distinguished Service Award, American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- PhRMA Foundation Excellence in Clinical Pharmacology Award
- Ueda Memorial Award, Japanese Society of Electrocardiology
- Benedict R. Lucchesi Distinguished Award in Cardiac Pharmacology, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics