Jayant A. Talwalkar, M.D., is a hepatologist with interests in health services and policy research. Dr. Talwalkar's research centers on the organization, delivery and financing of health care for patient populations with chronic conditions requiring specialty care. Specifically, Dr. Talwalkar focuses on the evaluation of health policies that affect clinical practice.
Dr. Talwalkar currently serves as medical director of the Mayo Clinic's collaboration with OptumLabs within the Mayo Clinic Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery. He pursues his research in collaboration with colleagues from the Division of Health Care Policy and Research.
- Health care policy analysis
Significance to patient care
The research performed by Dr. Talwalkar and his colleagues contributes to identifying the impacts and unintended consequences of health care policy enactment and reform on the clinical practice of medicine.
- Fellow, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) 2017-present
- Chair, AASLD Public Health/Health Care Delivery Special Interest Group, 2015-2017
- Chair, American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Liver & Biliary Section, 2013-2017
- Fellow, AGA, 2011-present
- Chair, AASLD Practice Guidelines Committee, 2009-2013
- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology, 2002-present