Vera J. Suman, Ph.D., is the lead faculty statistician for breast cancer and malignant melanoma research at Mayo Clinic. Her statistical research interests are in the areas of design and analysis of clinical trials in cancer.
Dr. Suman's collaborative research interests are in the design, conduct and data analytics needs of basic science and clinical studies focused on:
- Tumor mechanisms. Studies are designed to gain insights into mechanisms of tumor growth, drug resistance and tumor escape.
- Drug metabolism. Dr. Suman works to identify druggable tumor targets and inhibitors of drug metabolism.
- Breast cancer. An additional goal is to identify and evaluate early biomarkers of endocrine resistance in estrogen receptor-rich breast cancers.
Significance to patient care
As a member of multidisciplinary research teams, Dr. Suman has applied her statistical expertise in advancing the understanding of tumor growth and drug resistance, which has led to the development, testing and approval of new treatment approaches.
- Director, Biostatistics Core, Breast Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE), Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, 2005-2015 and 2019-present
- Faculty statistician, Breast Cancer Committee and Multiple Myeloma Committee, Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, 2011-present
- Recipient, Mayo Clinic Team Science Award, 2019