The research of Adam I. Perlman, M.D., M.P.H., focuses on the use and effectiveness of integrative or complementary medicine as well as lifestyle medicine interventions.
His research studies clinical trials evaluating the use of therapies such as massage for osteoarthritis of the knee and health and wellness coaching for type 2 diabetes. Dr. Perlman also researches survey methodology assessing the use of complementary treatments by patients diagnosed with cancer.
Dr. Perlman studies treatment approaches that are easily integrated into clinical practice. One of these trials involves a five-day fast mimicking diet in patients receiving immune check point inhibitors for cancer.
- Health and wellness coaching. Dr. Perlman leads a team with a focus on assessing the usefulness of health and wellness coaching. The team researches the health and quality of life for patients with various medical conditions as well as for the caregivers of these people.
- Nonpharmacological approaches to care. Dr. Perlman and his colleagues have undertaken numerous investigations of nonpharmacological approaches to managing various medical conditions.
- Employee well-being. An additional area of Dr. Perlman's research involves employee well-being and interventions to decrease burnout and increase joy in the workplace.
Significance to patient care
The majority of patients use some form of integrative or complementary medicine in addition to more conventional care. Dr. Perlman's goal is to add to the body of research that allows both patients and their health care team to make more-evidence-based decisions concerning integrative medicine.
As the director of Integrative Medicine and Health and the medical director for employee well-being at Mayo Clinic's Florida campus, Dr. Perlman has worked with colleagues to implement and study lifestyle-related interventions. The goal of Dr. Perlman's research is to prevent or reverse chronic conditions and enhance overall well-being.
- Member, scientific review group, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, National Institutes of Health, 2003-present.
- Bravewell Distinguished Service Award, Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine & Health, 2020.
- Dean's Excellence in Research Award, School of Health Related Professions, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2007.