The research efforts of Timothy R. Long, M.D., focus on understanding the changing demographic of U.S. medical students, residents and residency program directors. Dr. Long's research includes evaluation of innovative tools to improve the efficiency of program administration, oversight of graduate medical education (GME) programs and faculty development.
- Recruitment and retention in residency and fellowship programs. Dr. Long conducts survey research aimed at identifying aspects of a training program important to medical students and residents.
- Diversity of medical students, residents and program directors. Dr. Long seeks to understand the demographics of trainees to facilitate the recruitment of a diverse workforce.
- Oversight of GME programs. Dr. Long evaluates innovative tools to support GME, residency program administration and faculty development.
- Wellness in GME. Dr. Long evaluates stress in residency training and the implementation of wellness programs to improve trainee well-being.
Significance to patient care
Recruitment and retention of the most talented individuals is crucial to the success of a residency program and an institution. Dr. Long's research contributes to the improvement of graduate medical education programs and the well-being of students, faculty and administration.
- Council member, Association of Anesthesiology Core Program Directors, 2014-present