Applied Cardiac Electrophysiology, with special interest in atrial fibrillation, and in nonpharmacologic arrhythmia therapy
My research has focused on advanced treatments for clinical arrhythmias. Study approaches have include analysis of prospective and ongoing databases, evaluation and assessment of new arrhythmia mapping systems, catheter and device based development, and evaluation of algorithms to treat and to prevent atrial fibrillation.
Major projects include the following.
Clinical arrhythmia mapping and mechanisms:
- Global right atrial mapping of atrial flutter via multipolar catheters and intracardiac echocardiography.
- Noncontact mapping of ventricular and atrial arrhythmias.
- Noncontact mapping of focal atrial fibrilltion (project in development).
Device based therapies for prevention and treatment of arrhythmias (with special interest in atrial fibrillation:)
- Dual site pacing for atrial fibrillation prevention.
- Pacing algorithms for atrial fibrillation prevention.
- Evaluation and development of high frequency pacing algorithms for atrial fibrillation termination.
- Analysis of factors affecting defibrillation effectiveness.
Clinical atrial fibrillation management/outcomes:
- Assessment of expert guidelines for acute in patient atrial fibrillation management.
- Prospective new onset atrial fibrillation registry database/analysis.
- Prevention of post operative atrial fibrillation.
- Consultant, Division of Heart Rhythm Services, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Consultant, Department of Physiology & Biomedical Engineering
- Chair, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
- Fellow - Cardiovascular Electrophysiology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Fellow - Cardiovascular Medicine Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Resident Cardiovascular Disease, Programs in Rochester, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Resident - Department of Internal Medicine Stanford University
- Internship - Department of Internal Medicine University of Washington
- MD Stanford University
- BA - Plan II Honors Liberal Arts Program University of Texas
- BS - Electrical Engineering University of Texas