Bijan J. Borah, Ph.D., has research interests and expertise in the area of comparative effectiveness research (CER) and the statistical and econometric methods used in CER. Dr. Borah is director of the Economic Evaluation Service in Mayo Clinic's Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery. The Economic Evaluation Service collaborates with both Mayo and non-Mayo researchers to evaluate health interventions including different health care delivery models, drugs and health technologies.
Dr. Borah is also a consultant in the Division of Health Care Policy and Research in the Section of Health Sciences Research at Mayo Clinic.
Some selected therapeutic areas in which Dr. Borah has conducted research are cardiovascular diseases, endocrinology, obstetrics and gynecology, neurology, and primary care internal medicine.
Dr. Borah's other substantive research interests include:
- The science of health care delivery, under which he assesses the impact of patient-centered delivery of care on outcomes
- The development and application of innovative statistical and econometric methods to answer interesting health policy questions, including assessing methods for measuring medication adherence
- The measurement of value in health care
Some of Dr. Borah's recently completed or ongoing projects are:
- Comparing outcomes between focused ultrasound surgery and other minimally invasive procedures for treating uterine fibroids
- Improving medication adherence and health outcomes through a patient-centered primary care health system
- Evaluating behavioral interventions to improve engagement in employer-provided health promotion activities and consequent health outcomes
- Assessing cost-effectiveness of implementing pharmacogenomics in clinical practice
Significance to patient care
The findings of Dr. Borah's research support best practice and intervention in health care, which inform various stakeholders — patients, payers, providers and regulators — to drive policy toward improving patient care.
- Member, Midwest Comparative Effectiveness Public Advisory Council, Institute for Clinical and Economic Review, 2019-present
- Associate editor, BMC Health Services Research, 2018-present
- Member, Scientific Methods Panel, National Quality Forum, 2017-present