Katherine W. Arendt, M.D., is an obstetric anesthesiologist whose research focuses on anesthesia for women with high-risk pregnancies.
- Obstetric anesthesia for women with cardiovascular disease
- Maternal anesthesia for fetal surgery
Significance to patient care
Maternal mortality in the U.S. is increasing, and cardiovascular disease is now the leading cause of maternal death. Dr. Arendt's research aims to identify the optimal obstetric anesthetic care for patients with high-risk congenital or acquired heart disease.
- Member, Recommendations for Fetal Anesthesia Work Group, American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2018-present
- Board of directors, Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology, 2014-present
- Member, Presidential Task Force on Pregnancy and Heart Disease, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2018-2019