Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. There is no guarantee that every individual who qualifies and wants to participate in a trial will be enrolled. Contact the study team to discuss study eligibility and potential participation.
1. Primary diagnosis of IH, according to ICSD-3 criteria (does not require MSLT).
2. Subjects aged 18 - 65 years.
3. BMI between 18 and 35 kg/m^2.
4. Self-reported sleep duration ≥ 10 hours most days including daytime naps/sleep based upon at least 10/14 days of completed sleep diary entries.
5. Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) ≥ 10 (required at pre-screening visit only).
6. Recommended LSO by a clinical sleep specialist as part of routine medical care. The clinical sleep specialist will be responsible for titrating LSO according to standard
7. Subject must be willing to postpone LSO therapy until all baseline assessments completed.
8. If treated with wake promoting agents, traditional stimulants and/or antidepressant(s), a stable dose and regimen will be required for at least 2 months before study entry and throughout the main study.
9. Have used a medically acceptable method of contraception for at least 2 full menstrual cycles before participating in this study and consent to use a medically acceptable method of contraception from the first dose of study drug, throughout the entire study period, and for 30 days after the last dose of study drug.
1. Succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency, porphyria.
2. Other central nervous system diseases:
seizure disorders; or
history of head trauma associated with loss of consciousness.
3. Lifetime history of suicide attempt or suicidal ideation in the past six months, including answer to question #9 on PHQ-9 ≥1; PHQ-9 total score > 10; prior history of
psychotic episodes; active major depressive disorder.
4. Change to psychiatric medication(s)/stimulant(s) within last 3 months.
5. History of chronic alcohol or drug abuse within the prior 12 months.
6. Malignant neoplastic disease requiring therapy within the prior 12 months.
7. Heart failure, severe hypertension or other cardiovascular disease compromising the patient's well-being or ability to participate in this study.
8. Renal or hepatic impairment.
9. Compromised respiratory function (e.g., history of COPD, pulmonary hypertension, and/or poorly controlled asthma).
10. Diagnosis of sleep-related breathing disorders (AHI ≥ 15 events/h using 4 % AHI) or high suspicion for sleep disordered breathing.
11. Any sleep apnea treatment (e.g., Positive Airway Pressure (PAP) therapy, oral appliance therapy, etc.).
12. No regular sleep at night: shift work or other continuous, non-disease-related life conditions.
13. Participation in another study of an investigational drug within the 28 days prior to Screening visit or currently.
14. Pregnant and/or breast-feeding.
15. Ear jewelry and/or piercings that subject not willing to/unable to remove.
16. Use of device/implant that may interfere with the study devices/procedures (e.g., vagal nerve stimulator).
17. Smoke and/or use of smokeless tobacco products.
18. Subjects who, in the opinion of the investigator(s), may not be suitable for the study.
Note: Other protocol defined Inclusion/Exclusion Criteria may apply.
Eligibility last updated 9/5/23. Questions regarding updates should be directed to the study team contact.