Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. There is no guarantee that every individual who qualifies and wants to participate in a trial will be enrolled. Contact the study team to discuss study eligibility and potential participation.
A patient is deemed suitable for inclusion in the study if the patient has nephrotic
syndrome associated with primary FSGS when:
? Standard treatment options, including corticosteroid and/or calcineurin inhibitors, are
unsuccessful or not well tolerated and the patient's glomerular filtration rate (GFR) ≥ 45
? The patient is post renal transplantation.
General Exclusion Criteria
1. Patient is greater than 75 years of age at the start of the treatment period or less
2. The patient is unwilling or unable to sign and date the informed consent
3. Pregnant, lactating, or planning to become pregnant prior to completing the study
(Note: The safety of the use of LIPOSORBER® in pregnant women has not been studied.
There may be unknown risks to an embryo/fetus. Sexually active women of childbearing
potential should avoid pregnancy during the use of the LIPOSORBER device and
throughout the study duration.)
4. Unable or unwilling to comply with the follow-up schedule
5. Simultaneously participating in another investigational drug or device study
6. Body weight < 15 kg (33.1 lbs)
Medical Exclusion Criteria
1. Currently being administered ACE inhibitors that cannot be withheld for at least 24
hours prior to each apheresis treatment (Note: The time period to withhold ACE
inhibitors should be prolonged, if determined by the treating physician, considering
each individual's renal function and the biological half-life of the ACE-inhibitor
currently in use.)
2. Currently being administered antihypertensive drugs other than ACE inhibitors (e.g.,
ARBs) that cannot be withheld on the day of apheresis until after the procedure
3. Medical condition or disorder that would limit life expectancy to less than the
primary clinical study endpoint or that may cause noncompliance with the study plan or
confound the data analysis
4. Hypersensitivity to dextran sulfate, heparin, or ethylene oxide
5. Adequate anticoagulation cannot be achieved due to severe hemophilia, severe
hemorrhage diathesis, severe gastrointestinal ulcers, or are recipients of vitamin K
6. Extracorporeal circulation therapy with LIPOSORBER® LA-15 System cannot be tolerated
due to severe cardiac insufficiency, acute myocardial infarction, severe cardiac
arrhythmia, acute apoplexy, severe uncontrollable hypertension, or severe
uncontrollable hypotension Note: Severe uncontrollable hypotension/hypertension
indicates the cases with systolic and/or diastolic blood pressure ≤ 5th percentile for
age, gender, and height.
7. Cardiac impairments such as uncontrolled arrhythmia, unstable angina, decompensated
congestive heart failure, or valvular disease
8. Functional thyroid disease or liver abnormalities
9. Unresolved systemic or local infection that could affect the clinical study outcomes
Note: Other protocol defined Inclusion/Exclusion criteria may apply.
Eligibility last updated 2/23/23. Questions regarding updates should be directed to the study team contact.