Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Age ≥18 years.
- Undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis suspected to be early RA by the evaluating clinician with clinical synovitis of ≥1 joint and ≥1 other tender joint but not fulfilling classification criteria.
- Symptom duration ≤ 1 year.
- Unwillingness or inability to return to Mayo Clinic for research follow-up visits.
- Current or previous (within the previous 6 months) use ofDMARDs – prednisone (≥10 mg/day), methotrexate,hydroxychloroquine, sulfasalazine, leflunomide, adalimumab, certolizumab, etanercept, golimumab, infliximab, abatacept, tocilizumab, sarilumab, tofacitinib, rituximab, or anakinra.
- Contraindications to contrast-enhanced MRI ( renal insufficiency with estimated GFR ≤ 60 ml/min/1.73 m², extreme claustrophobia, metal implants or devices that contraindicate MRI).
- Contraindications to contrast-enhanced PCD-CT (eGFR <30, history of previous contrast allergic reaction, history of premedication prior to iodinated contrast).
- Personal history of another definite autoimmune or inflammatory rheumatic disease (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis, dermatomyositis, vasculitis, gout, or CPPD) diagnosed by a rheumatologist, excluding secondary Sjogren’s syndrome.
- Women who are pregnant or nursing.
- Personal history of psoriasis diagnosed by a primary care physician or dermatologist.
- Personal history of inflammatory bowel disease diagnosed by a gastroenterologist.
- Unsuitability to participate in the judgment of a study investigator.