Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- All patients undergoing urgent/emergent colon resection (less than 24 hours after decision to operate) by an acute care surgeon will be enrolled.
- Elective operations performed by acute care surgeons within 24-hours of the decision to operate (e.g., scheduled resection of nonobstructed, non-perforated malignancy)
- Wards of the state
- Patients less than 18-years of age
- Traumatic mechanisms of injury
- Death within 24-hours of index operation.