Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- 60 male and female subjects > 18 years of age.
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- On at least one oral hypoglycemic agent, or glucagon-like peptide analogue or insulin, for at least 6 months.
- EF > 50% without diastolic dysfunction or EF > 50% with grade 2 or more diastolic dysfunction, without prior diagnosis, or signs and symptoms, of heart failure.
- Minimal distance of >450 meters on a 6-minute walk. If the subject is not able to walk 450 meters due to pain in hips and/or knees, and does not have fatigue or shortness of breath, then they will still qualify for the protocol.
- Age < 18 years.
- HbA1C > 9 % at enrollment.
- Prior diagnosis, or signs and symptoms, of heart failure.
- Currently taking a loop diuretic.
- Myocardial infarction within 6 months of Visit 2.
- Unstable angina within 6 months of Visit 2.
- Significant (> moderate) valvular stenosis, hypertrophic, restrictive or obstructive cardiomyopathy, constrictive pericarditis, primary pulmonary hypertension, or biopsy proven active myocarditis.
- Severe congenital heart diseases.
- Sustained ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation within 14 days of screening.
- Second or third degree heart block without a permanent cardiac pacemaker.
- Stroke within 3 months of screening, or other evidence of significantly compromised CNS perfusion.
- ALT > 2 times the upper limit of normal.
- Serum sodium of < 125 mEq/dL or > 160 mEq/dL.
- Serum potassium of < 3.5 mEq/dL or > 5.9 mEq/dL.
- Hemoglobin < 9 gm/dl.
- EGFR < 30 ml/min (at screening).
- Other acute or chronic medical conditions or laboratory abnormality which may increase the risks associated with study participation or may interfere with interpretation of the data.
- Received an investigational drug within 1 month prior to dosing.
- Patients with an allergy to iodine.
- Female subject who is pregnant or breastfeeding.
- In the opinion of the investigator, is unlikely to comply with the study protocol or is unsuitable for any reason.