Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Parents of children who are scheduled to receive general anesthesia for elective procedures more than 1 week from the date of review will be contacted by study personnel for recruitment and written informed consent obtained.
- Age 2.5 to 6 at date of recruitment
- Scheduled to receive general anesthesia for non-cardiac procedures
- Reside within 30 miles of the city of Rochester
- Preexisting diagnosis of severe developmental delay or neurological impairments
- Procedures that may significantly affect the function of brain such as brain resection or radiation
- Anticipated hospitalization > 1 week