Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Age: 18 to 65 (inclusive).
- Gender: both males and females.
- Body mass index (BMI): 18.5-34.9 kg/m2.
- Habitual sleep duration ≤6.5 hours and voluntary prolongation of sleep when circumstances allow (as indicated by napping and/or >45 min catch-up sleep during weekends or holidays).
- Presence of prehypertension (office systolic BP (SBP) 120-139 mmHg and/or diastolic BP (DBP) 80-89 mmHg ), Stage 1 hypertension (office SBP 140-159 mmHg and/or DBP 90-99 mmHg ), or currently taking antihypertensive medications.
- Either on no prescription medications (other than oral contraceptive pills, or intrauterine devices) or on stable medical regimen for at least 1 month, if taking prescription medications for chronic conditions.
- Not pregnant or breast feeding and not intending to become pregnant or breast feed.
- Not a current smoker or tobacco user.
- Ability to provide written informed consent.
- Vulnerable study populations will be excluded.
- Travel across >2 time zones in the previous month.
- Presence of overt cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, cancer, sleep/circadian disorders, psychiatric disorders.
- If taking prescription medications for chronic conditions, change in therapy (type, frequency and/or dosage) over the previous month.
- Sleep aids.
- Habitual sleep duration >6.5 hours.
- Excessive alcohol (>14 drinks/week in men and >7 drinks/week in women) and/or excessive caffeine intake (>400 mg).
- Currently on a diet and/or actively trying to lose weight.
- History of drowsy driving.
- Severe daytime sleepiness (score >15 at the Epworth Sleepiness Scale).
- Current or previous (during the past 2 months) participation in other research studies at the discretion of study personnel.
- Blood/plasma donation during the past 2 months.
- Unwillingness or inability to adjust sleep schedule.