Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Adults age > 18 years old.
- Adults with a diagnosis of HCM.
- Both sexes.
- Able to consent.
- Healthy controls free of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and without a definitive family history of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- Decompensated heart failure at time of enrollment (prior history of HF is not an exclusion criteria).
- Current smokers or recently quit (< 6 months).
- Severe (known) COPD (FEV1 between 30 and 50 percent of normal).
- Known autonomic dysfunction.
- Vulnerable study populations except for minorities (minorities may be targeted to achieve 25% minority recruitment required by the NIH).
- Pregnant women.
- For Aim 3b only: prior catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation.