Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Age 20-65 years of age
- Seen at Mayo Clinic Nutrition Clinic and have received authorization for bariatric surgery.
- No active physical illness which will interfere with mobility or weight loss after bariatric surgery.
- Females who are sexually active and able to become pregnant must agree to use birth control for duration of study if randomized to Saxenda/Placebo.
- Prior use of glucose lowering medication in the 3 months prior to screening.
- A fasting glucose ≥ 126mg/dl or an HbA1c ≥ 6.5% will be taken as evidence of type 2 diabetes and therefore patients will be deemed ineligible for participation.
- Prior abdominal surgery other than cholecystectomy, appendectomy or hysterectomy.
- Pregnancy or active consideration of pregnancy during the period of study. Subjects will be discontinued if they become pregnant during the study.
- Hypersensitivity to liraglutide or any product components.
- Personal or family history of medullary thyroid carcinoma or Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia type 2.
- Prior history of pancreatitis, cholelithiasis or cholecystitis.
- Concurrent use of insulin or any other GLP-1 receptor agonist.
- Active, severe psychiatric disease