Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Clinical and radiographic evidence suggesting CNS malignancy.
- Suspected newly diagnosed, local, or intracranial recurrence of primary brain tumor OR Previously untreated or treated brain metastasis.
- Willing to undergo a neurosurgical resection of CNS lesion at Mayo Clinic Rochester.
- Able to have MRI imaging with gadolinium contrast (e.g. no cardiac pacemaker, defibrillator, renal failure).
- Females of childbearing potential must have a negative pregnancy test done < 14 days prior to registration.
- Provide written informed consent.
- Willing to provide tissue and blood samples for research purposes
- Vulnerable populations: pregnant women, prisoners, mentally handicapped.
- Unable to undergo a biopsy of CNS lesion.
- Documented drug allergy to cefazolin, levetiracetam, or other study drugs, or other contraindication to use these drugs in the pre-operative setting (e.g., patient is already on another anti-seizure medication which precludes the clinical indication for pre-operative levetiracetam).
- Patients who are unable to swallow tablets if study drug is administered by mouth.
- Patients who are at risk for impaired absorption of oral medication if study drug is administered by mouth.
- Note: This includes but not limited to, refractory vomiting, gastric resection/bypass, and duodenal/jejunal resection.
- Pregnant or nursing women. Note: Pregnant women are excluded from this study because of the potential for teratogenic or abortifacient effects with chemotherapy. There is also a potential risk for AEs in nursing infants secondary to treatment of the mother with these drugs, so breastfeeding should be discontinued for the duration of the study.