Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Trauma patients who arrive to Mayo Clinic Hospital - Saint Marys Emergency Deparment and are classified as Level Red and Yellow activations.
- Male and female patients 18 years of age or older (no upper age limit).
- Blunt and/or penetrating traumatic injuries.
- Are on therapeutic anticoagulation, to include Coumadin/Pradaxa or antiplatelet agents (excluding Plavix, aspirin or ibuprofen).
- Have preexisting coagulopathy (cirrhosis and inherited clotting disorders including Hemophilia A & B, Factor IX, Factor XI deficiencies).
- Patients greater than 12 hours from time of injury.
- Have history of known malignancy (no clinical evidence within 3 months).
- Active diagnosis of sepsis at the time of injury.
- Renal failure on dialysis.
- Patients with thermal injuries ( not including “road rashes”).
- Patients on high dose steroids or autoimmune medications.
- Patients who have experienced traumatic injuries within the past 1 year.
- Known pPregnancy.
- Have a preexisting medical condition that, in the judgment of the investigator, would preclude participation in this study.