Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Mechanically-ventilated patients admitted to the trauma-surgical ICU (Mary Brigh 7 B/G) with a clinical diagnosis of hypovolemic or distributive shock, who are undergoing active resuscitation by the ICU team members,
- Blood pressure monitoring via arterial line
- Arterial line systolic blood pressure ≥90
- Age ≥ 18
- Patients who are not mechanically ventilated
- Patients who do not have an arterial line at time of enrollment
- Patients with abdominal dressings which prevent the use of ultrasonography in the epigastrium
- Pregnant patients
- Patients <18 years of age
- Prisoners/Incarcerated individuals
- Recent pneumonectomy
- Occult pneumothorax (i.e. pneumothorax only visible on chest CT without clinical symptoms)
- Patients with angulated, displaced rib fractures with associated pneumothorax and no thoracostomy tube in place at the time of enrollment.
- Patients with difficult to control elevated intracranial pressure
- Patients with history of emphysematous bleb and spontaneous pneumothorax.
- Patients with a tube thoracostomy and active air leak.
- Recently placed internal mammary grafts.