Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Subject provides informed consent
- Subject is >18 years of age
- Subject is deemed competent for making medical decisions
- Subject is scheduled to undergo pleuroscopy as part of their standard care for pre-operative clinical staging of malignant pleural mesothelioma
- A negative pregnancy test is required in women of child-bearing potential, as standard of care.
- Subject is mentally capable of understanding study procedures.
Study subject has any disease or condition that interferes with safe completion of the study including:
- Platelet count < 50K, coagulopathy defined as an International Normalized Ratio (INR) > 1.5
- Anticoagulants such as clopidogrel, heparin, low-molecular weight heparin, warfarin or other novel anticoagulants have not been held for the standard time period published
- Hemodynamic instability with systolic blood pressure <90 mmHg or heart rate > 120 beats/min, unless deemed to be stable with these values by the surgical or interventional pulmonary attending physicians.
- Hypoxemia with pulse oximetry values <88% or partial pressure of oxygen in arterial blood (PaO2) < 60 on baseline oxygen requirements.
- Concurrent participation in another study involving investigational drugs or investigational medical devices
- Absence of or limited access to the pleural space during medical pleuroscopy.
- Inability to read and understand the necessary study documents.