Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
To be included, each patient must meet ALL of the following
- Has had a functional assessment of the elbow using a standard BTE device
- Lack of elbow flexion and/or extension, with or without pain.
- The contracture must have been present for at least six months and failed to respond to non-surgical treatment.
- Surgery to be performed will be an arthroscopic capsulectomy or osteocapsular arthroplasty with removal of heterotopic ossification as necessary (participants will be stratified according to arthroscopic surgery)
- Contraindication to use of CPM or regional brachial plexus block, such as bleeding diathesis, use of anticoagulants or severe restriction in shoulder range of movement.
- Preoperative neuropathy or neuritis, except for isolated intermittent ulnar neuritis.
- Neuromuscular disorder, including spasticity that might limit ability to completely participate in rehabilitation.
- Psychiatric disorder, including spasticity that might limit ability to cooperate with rehabilitation.
- Progressive inflammatory disease such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Current or prior septic arthritis
- Pregnant or breastfeeding