Innovation is focused on patient care in Mayo Clinic's Surgical Innovation Center. Therefore, almost all projects in the center are aimed at improving surgical treatment of specific diseases and conditions.
The Surgical Innovation Center's areas of focus include:
- Advanced operation room (OR) imaging capabilities. Mayo Clinic's OR of the future provides an innovative interface between surgical teams and technology to deliver optimized, cutting-edge care to patients across the Mayo Clinic enterprise.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and digital capabilities. The center is using advanced approaches for data acquisition and analysis to provide clinicians with relevant, timely and actionable information throughout each patient's course of care at Mayo Clinic.
- Education. The innovation center offers opportunities for internal and external partners to educate, certify and credential staff on new technologies, devices, imaging and procedures.
- Good lab practices (GLP). Expanding GLP capabilities to accelerate preclinical device testing and raise the number of successful first-in-human studies is part of the center's goals to increase opportunities for commercialization and translational research.
- Novel device development and testing. Capital advances in AI- and robotic-assisted surgeries can improve Mayo Clinic's ability to provide better offerings and speed the evolution of therapies that yield a higher quality of life.
- Robotic surgeries. The center provides leadership for developing cutting-edge technology and procedures, unavailable elsewhere, to drive patients to Mayo Clinic.