The resources available through the Mayo Clinic Biobank are intended to serve the needs of researchers both internal and external to Mayo Clinic. All researchers are encouraged to apply to use Mayo Clinic Biobank samples. For more information on how to access the samples, data or both, contact Mayo Clinic Bioservices at 855-298-0598 (toll-free).
Types of samples collected
For all subjects:
- Three 10 mL EDTA tubes (for DNA, buffy coat, plasma)
- One 10 mL no additive (for serum)
- One 4.5 mL sodium citrate (for plasma)
For a subset of subjects (approximately 2,000):
- One 6 mL sodium heparin tube (for slow freezing)
Types of data collected
Review criteria and governance
This is a resource for researchers internal and external to Mayo Clinic. All researchers are encouraged to apply.
Applications are reviewed by the Biobank Access Committee based upon these criteria:
- Scientific excellence
- Alignment with institutional goals
- Potential to improve patient care
- Number of subjects and amount and type of sample requested
- Overlap with active projects
- Projects developed by members of divisions and departments from which patients were recruited
- Investigative team productivity; other projects (and outcomes) using the Mayo Clinic Biobank
- Research addresses a serious health problem (globally or nationally)
- Funding source
See the complete Biobank access principles.
Information for grant applications
For use in grant applications, see this description of the Biobank (text document).
For more information about project fees, contact Mayo Clinic Bioservices at 855-298-0598 (toll-free).
Mayo Clinic Bioservices
Mayo Clinic Bioservices provides innovative biorepositories and state-of-the-art biospecimen processing and storage services.
We also provide a variety of laboratory and storage services through two laboratories.
- The Biospecimens Accessioning and Processing Core laboratory provides specimen accessioning, processing, nucleic acid extraction, electronic biospecimen tracking, and storage and shipping services.
- The Pathology Research Core laboratory offers histological and tissue-based services.
We also provide access to analytic laboratory services, including sequencing, genotyping, expression, cytogenetics and proteomics, and to Mayo Clinic's CLIA-approved clinical laboratories through Mayo Medical Laboratories.
Interested? Call 855-298-0598 (toll-free) or visit Mayo Clinic Bioservices to learn more.
Scientists in industry and academia: Our full range of laboratory services is now available to support your research model. To find out how Mayo Clinic Bioservices can advance your research, visit our website or call 855-298-0598 (toll-free).