Mayo Clinic Bioservices' facility in Rochester, Minnesota, was designed and constructed specifically to support a customized approach to sample processing, storage and management. The facility houses a new Hamilton BiOS LX robotic freezer system, the first of its kind in the United States. Mayo Clinic Bioservices is configured to store 70 million specimens.
The facility was designed to support Mayo Clinic Bioservices' objectives:
- Superior efficiency
- Ability to meet the needs of the smallest storage project to the largest in scope
- Increased standardization of procedures and processes
Whether you're working with a single sample or millions, Mayo Clinic Bioservices will process and store it safely and retrieve it when you need it.
Mayo Clinic Bioservices processes 830,000 samples a year. Biospecimen processing services include:
- Consultation on study-specific needs
- Biospecimen accessioning
- Electronic biospecimen tracking in Mayo Clinic Bioservices' LIMS system
- DNA and RNA extraction and quantification
- Processing of blood and bodily fluids
- PBMC processing
- Access to clinical laboratory processing through Mayo Clinic Laboratories (CLIA)
Downstream services include gene expression, genotyping, next generation sequencing, proteomics and cytogenetics through Mayo Clinic's Center for Individualized Medicine
Safety and integrity are the bottom line for biospecimen storage at Mayo Clinic Bioservices. Team members' own research backgrounds give them a profound understanding of how high-quality research depends upon the safety and integrity of the samples in a collection.
To keep samples secure and intact, Mayo emphasizes state-of-the-art technology, passing the high Mayo Clinic standard of quality directly to clients and enhancing the integrity of their research.
Researchers can choose the storage options that fit their projects, including:
- Extensive range of storage options, from ambient to -minus 80 C to liquid nitrogen
- Customized to best meet unique research needs
- Full program to assure business continuity (download PDF summary)
Mayo Clinic Bioservices offers cost-effective and secure sample shipment supported by a national network of courier services, as well as kit building. Domestic or international, from one tube to millions, Mayo Clinic Bioservices will handle it for you.
Mayo Clinic Bioservices staff is International Air Transport Association (IATA) trained, and can prepare samples for both domestic shipment and for transit to destinations worldwide. Staff members work with a variety of courier services to send samples through the Rochester International Airport (RST) in Rochester, Minnesota.
Samples can be shipped at ambient, chilled or frozen temperatures.