17 Projects Receive Advance the Practice Research Awards
Medical need and commercialization potential were among the key criteria considered in the selection of 17 research projects to receive Advance the Practice Research Awards in 2019. Other important criteria included readiness for translation, impact on clinical practice, and the strength of the research team and its collaborators.
These winning projects were selected from among 56 submitted. Each will receive a monetary award as well as project management and subject matter expertise from the Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCaTS) Office of Translation to Practice. The projects address patients' unmet clinical needs through the development of novel therapeutics, devices, diagnostics or other products; or through the development and implementation of novel practice initiatives.
The awards are an initiative of the Office of Translation to Practice in collaboration with Mayo Clinic Ventures, research leadership at Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona and Florida, the Department of Medicine and Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Mayo's campus in Minnesota, and the Department of Surgery at Mayo's campus in Arizona.
"We'd like to thank our partners for their support of the 2019 Advance the Practice Research Award program and especially thank the dozens of investigators who took the time to submit their innovative proposals for consideration," said Andrew D. Badley, M.D., director of the Office of Translation to Practice. "The teams that were successful in this round represent some of the best and brightest at Mayo, and the projects they propose have a high chance of meaningfully impacting our patients and our practice."
2019 Advance the Practice Research Award recipients
- Development of a Bidirectional-Deflectable, Irrigated Balloon Catheter for Electroporation
- Collaborator: Omar Z. Yasin, M.D., M.S.
- Principal investigator: Samuel J. Asirvatham, M.D.
- Perioperative Surgical Home
- Collaborators: Karna K. Sundsted, M.D.; Adam K. Jacob, M.D.; Karen F. Mauck, M.D.; David R. Danielson, M.D.; Dennis W. Regan, M.D.
- Principal investigator: Dennis (Mike) M. Bierle, M.D.
- Extraforaminal Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulation for Pain Management
- Principal investigator: Mohamad Bydon, M.D.
- Motion Analysis Following Cerebrospinal Fluid Shunting for Idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
- Collaborators: Kenton R. Kaufman, Ph.D.; Jonathan Graff-Radford, M.D.; David T. Jones, M.D.
- Principal investigator: Benjamin D. Elder, M.D., Ph.D.
- Transcatheter Anterior Mitral Leaflet Cutter
- Principal investigator: Mayra Guerrero, M.D.
- Ergonomic Risk and Real-Time Guidance Outerwear (ERRGO) Development for Surgeons
- Collaborators: Samuel R. Money, M.D.; Melissa (Missy) M. Morrow, Ph.D.
- Principal investigator: Susan Hallbeck, Ph.D.
- Development of GM-CSF Deficient CART19 Cells as a Novel Therapeutic Option in B Cell Malignancies
- Optimization of HIV Clinic Workflow With LPN Support
- Collaborator: Stacey A. Rizza, M.D.
- Principal investigator: Maryam Mahmood, M.B., Ch.B.
- KIAA1199 Antibody for Mesothelioma and Other Aggressive Malignancies
- Collaborator: Tobias Peikert, M.D.
- Principal investigator: Aaron S. Mansfield, M.D.
- Manufacturing Fibrin Scaffolds for RPE Transplantation
- Pediatric Vertebral Body Anterior Tethering System
- Discovery of the Therapeutic Properties of Nucleotide Sugar Therapy Supplemented in Specific Ratios as a Novel Treatment of Congenial Disorders of Glycosylation
- Collaborators: Tamas Kozicz, M.D., Ph.D.; Kimiyo M. Raymond, M.D.
- Principal investigator: Eva Morava-Kozicz, M.D., Ph.D.
- Point-of-Care Technology for Tailoring Asthma Treatment
- Implementation of Kidney Failure Risk Equation in Primary Care to Promote Evidence-Based Best Practice and Timely Referral to Nephrology for High-Risk Patients
- Collaborators: Nilay D. Shah, Ph.D.; Celia C. Kamath, Ph.D.; Aaron L. Leppin, M.D.; Robert C. Albright Jr., D.O.; Rajeev Chaudhry, M.B.B.S., M.P.H.
- Principal investigator: Bjoerg (Bjorg) Thorsteinsdottir, M.D.
- Minimally Invasive Cortical Neurosurgery Tools and Electrodes
- Collaborators: Gregory A. Worrell, M.D., Ph.D.; Sanjeet S. Grewal, M.D.; Mark A. Benscoter, Ph.D., M.S.; Stephen (Steve) T. Kuehn, M.S.
- Principal investigator: Jamie J. Van Gompel, M.D.
- Epigenetic Bone Anabolic Drugs ('Epibolics') for Bone Regeneration
- Collaborator: Amel Dudakovic, Ph.D.
- Principal investigator: Andre J. van Wijnen, Ph.D.
- Evaluation of the Mayo Clinic Synthetic Bone Scaffold #1 (MCSBS1) for Phase 1 Clinical Trial Applications
- Collaborator: Alan L. Miller II, Ph.D.
- Principal investigator: Michael J. Yaszemski, M.D., Ph.D.
For more information, visit the Office of Translation to Practice website or contact the office at OTP@mayo.edu.