My research interests include the following:
Diseases of the colon and rectum, with specific reference to the application of laparoscopic techniques to improve patient outcomes.
- laparoscopic resection for colonic polyps
- laparoscopic resection and its applicability in colorectal cancer
- benefits of laparoscopic resection of Crohn's disease, with emphasis on patient outcomes and formal cost analysis
- development of laparoscopic techniques for extensive colorectal procedures, including proctocolectomy and ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (J-pouch) for ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)
- laparoscopic total abdominal colectomy for colonic dysmotility
- physiologic benefits of laparoscopic approaches, with interest in fluid homeostasis
Clinical trials in the field of colon and rectal surgery.
- participation in NIH multi-center trial of laparoscopic resection of colon cancer
- use of Seprafilm to reduce postoperative abdominal adhesions and small bowel obstruction