Joseph D. Yao, M.D., has research interests in the development, quality control and cost-effective use of serologic and molecular diagnostic tests in infectious diseases. Dr. Yao also speaks and writes Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese).
Dr. Yao focuses his research on the development of new and improved clinical diagnostic tests for viral hepatitis, HIV infection and transplant-associated viruses.
Significance to patient care
The goal of Dr. Yao's work is to provide current, state-of-the-art diagnostic tests to improve and optimize the management and outcome of patients with viral hepatitis, HIV infection and transplant-associated viral infections.
- Member, Document Development Committee, U.S. Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute, 2018-present
- Member, Diagnostics and Biomarkers Working Group, Forum for Collaborative Research, Washington, D.C., 2016-present
- Member, Proprietary Laboratory Analyses Technical Advisory Group, American Medical Association, 2016-present
- Fellow, Infectious Disease Society of America, 2010-present
- Fellow, American College of Physicians, 1994-present
- Consultant, Division of Clinical Microbiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Associate Professor of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Microbiology
- Resident - Medical Microbiology University of Toronto Affiliated Hospitals
- Fellow - Infectious Diseases Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Resident - Internal Medicine Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Resident Internal Medicine, Programs in Rochester, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Internship University of Manitoba Teaching Hospitals
- MD University of Manitoba
- BSc - Medicine University of Manitoba