The research interests of R. Scott Wright, M.D., focus on acute coronary syndrome (ACS), dyslipidemia and type 2 diabetes, as well as valvular heart disease disorders. His other research interests include health care policy and clinical trials.
Dr. Wright's research focuses on patients with ACS as an active international leader and investigator in clinical trials and database studies, including:
- Convalescent plasma for the treatment of COVID-19
- Cardiac involvement in COVID-19
- Renal failure in ACS, which led to one of the most widely cited papers in the Annals of Internal Medicine
- The role of statins and modulators of the inflammatory-atherothrombotic cascade and troponins in ACS
- Phase II and Phase III clinical trial testing of new lipid-lowering therapies, including the most recent pivotal ORION Program with Inclisiran
- Pleiotropic roles of statins in ACS through translational investigations in the Mayo Coronary Care Unit
- PRINCESS and CRISP, two international randomized trials testing early statin therapy after myocardial infarction and with inflammation, respectively
Dr. Wright's work in renal failure in ACS is ongoing and has resulted in the publication of numerous journal articles. In addition, Dr. Wright has advised members of Congress on health care reform and served on numerous national and international steering committees for randomized clinical trials evaluating new therapies in cardiovascular diseases.
Significance to patient care
The long-term objective of Dr. Wright's research is to improve the understanding and underlying molecular mechanisms of ACS, dyslipidemia and diabetes and apply this knowledge toward new diagnostic and therapeutic solutions — as well as improved outcomes for patients.
By introducing novel diagnostic and therapeutic modalities, his research has already changed the methods medical providers use to diagnose and treat patients, and has provided new insights into the prognosis of, and recovery from, ACS and stable coronary artery disease.
- Co-principal investigator, Expanded Access to Convalescent Plasma for the Treatment of Patients With COVID-19, Food and Drug Administration, 2020-present
- Associate editor, Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic Proceedings Editorial Board, 2018-present
- Honorary member, Chilean Society of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, 2018-present
- Director, Mayo Clinic Human Research Protection Program and Senior Chair, Mayo Clinic Institutional Review Board, 2017-present
- Principal investigator, ORION 10 Trial, 2015-present
- Member, Steering and Publications Committees, ORION Program, 2015-present
- Member, Executive Steering Committee ORION 4, 9, 10 and 11 Randomized Clinical Trials, 2015-present
- Fellow, American Heart Association, 2009-present
- Fellow, European Society of Cardiology, 2003-present
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology, 1997-present
- Member, Zumbro Valley Medical Society, 1992-present
- Member, Dalcetrapib Outcomes Trials Phases 1/2, 2007-2015
- Minnesota Health Care Transformation Task Force, 2007-2008
- Governor, Minnesota Chapter, American College of Cardiology, 2005-2008
- Past president, Zumbro Valley Medical Society, 2006
- Member, American College of Cardiology Blue Ribbon Task Force on Healthcare Reform, 2004