The research interests of Dietlind L. Wahner-Roedler, M.D., include benign and malignant diseases of the breast. Dr. Wahner-Roedler is involved in studies assessing breast cancer knowledge in various population groups. She also develops screening methods for early breast cancer detection and evaluates improvement of quality of life for patients with breast cancer.
Dr. Wahner-Roedler is active in Mayo Clinic's Integrative Medicine and Health Research Program. To better serve patients cancer or chronic disease as well as professionals experiencing high levels of stress, she evaluates topics including:
- Mind-body applications.
- Herbal and dietary supplements.
- Massage therapy.
- Stress management strategies.
Dr. Wahner-Roedler's research interests further include benign monoclonal gammopathies and heavy chain diseases. Additionally, she is involved in studies on sex and gender differences.
Current areas of active focus include:
- Assessment of integrative medicine therapies. Dr. Wahner-Roedler assesses the use and effectiveness of mind-body applications, herbal and dietary supplements, acupuncture, and massage therapy in various population groups and diseases, including patients with cancer, fibromyalgia and other chronic diseases.
- Breast cancer knowledge and screening. Dr. Wahner-Roedler evaluates the effect of socio-economic status and acculturation on breast cancer knowledge and screening in minority groups.
- Stress management. Dr. Wahner-Roedler studies the use of multimodel stress programs such as music therapy, aroma therapy, animal therapy and the Stress Management and Resiliency Training (SMART) program created by Amit Sood, M.D.
Significance to patient care
The goal of Dr. Wahner-Roedler's research is to ensure equitable access to cancer prevention measures in foreign-born and underserved populations in the United States. She aims to improve quality of life for patients with malignancies and chronic diseases by incorporating the best of conventional and complementary medicine practices into their treatment programs.
- Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
- AS - Associate Consultant in Hematology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- MS University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Resident Hematology, Programs in Rochester, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Fellow - Hematology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Fellow - Internal Medicine Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Internship - Rotating Somerset Hospital, Somersville
- Internship - Rotating Albert-Schweitzer-Krankenhaus, Northeim
- Internship - Rotating Behring-Krankenhaus, Berlin
- Other - Thesis Dr. Med. Freie University Berlin
- MD Freie University Berlin