Douglas (Doug) A. Simonetto, M.D., studies complications of cirrhosis and noncirrhotic portal hypertension, with a focus on ascites and hepatorenal syndrome, outcomes and management of alcohol-associated liver disease, and telomere biology disorders. He is a lead investigator in multiple national phase 2 and 3 clinical trials and he conducts translational studies and artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled outcomes research.
- AI-enabled prediction of outcomes in cirrhosis
- Hepatorenal syndrome and acute kidney injury in cirrhosis — novel biomarkers and therapies
- Alcohol-associated hepatitis and acute-on-chronic liver failure — phase 2 and 3 clinical trials
- Telomere biology disorder-associated liver disease — translational studies
- Management of critical illness in cirrhosis
Significance to patient care
Dr. Simonetto's research enables the discovery of novel tools and therapies urgently needed for prevention and management of complications of cirrhosis and alcohol-associated hepatitis.